I thought I might as well post to reveal my current top ten and the reason why they are there (I know I have rankings on my About page too, but this one is for all of H!P, not just the groups, check out my “About” page if you want my rankings on each member of Morning Musume, Berryz Koubou and C-ute). If you can I encourage you to go and participate in the poll because now that JapanFiles is with Hello! Blog they can get a better idea of what we H!P fans think about the current H!P. OK, let’s start!
(This isn’t an absolute indicator of who wins over who, so the numbers are somewhat useless to me)
1. Niigaki Risa – She is my ultimate favorite in H!P, she has beauty, talent, and one of the reasons I like H!P, she gives her all when she goes on concerts and that too me is the makings of a leader (Sorry Takahashi, you’re a great leader but Niigaki wins this one). If you have seen Haromoni@ then you probably know that she acts like a mom most of the time (especially when Kusumi does something), thats what I like about her, she takes the subleader role seriously, she also is one of those girls with an extremely good singing voice (apart from Takahashi, LinLin, and Kamei). I really hope they start giving her more parts in songs (She had half a song with Sayu, Yowamushi, but I would like to see her have her own song).
2. Michishige Sayumi – She is pretty much an easy choice for second place, although she lacks singing skills (although she is improving a lot) she makes up for it in beauty and comedic skills. She was great on Haromoni@ and I loved to see her do her various sections. She got her own song on the last Momusu album, which is good, but I really don’t think it was right for her, she sounded somewhat forced, I hope they give her an H!P sounding song somewhere in the near future.
Wow, what a surprise Niigaki and Michishige are in the top two (hence the name for this blog), they are a great pair (so are Niigaki and Kamei, and Michishige and Kamei), but I prefer these two slightly more.
3. Tokunaga Chinami – You might be wondering what she is doing there in the top three, well since I recently (3 months ago) started to listen to more Berryz Koubou I started to watch their presentations on Music Fighter I started to notice Chinami a lot. She looks extremely pretty and I don’t see why Tsunku hasn’t given her a PB, she has really changed a lot and she is one of those girls in Berryz Koubou that stands out slightly more than the others (apart from Risako, Miyabi and Tokunaga). She is also a good comedian, watch Dschinghis Khan, or her closeup PV of Dakishimete Dakishimete near the end (I really liked the way she just starts to slightly laugh when the music ends and she stares at the camera with her smile wondering what to do next), there is also the digest from Sudou Maasa’s PV on Dohhh-Up where she just enters in the middle of the video and leaves slightly before the end while everyone is finishing up (I laughed about that for some time).
I hope she can have more times to shine with better parts in future songs, she has a great voice and I don’t see why she has to be stuck on the left side while Risako, Miyabi, and Momoko take all the spotlight, and to top it all of she is the only member who hasn’t been in a unit yet, come on Tsunku we need more Chinami!.
4. Kamei Eri – She is Kamei, the goofy and cute Kamei. She really shined a lot on Haromoni/Haromoni@, and I really liked how she reacted when she succeded in finishing a Gakikame theater segment. She has a decent amount of lines and she is in the top five Tsunku uses a lot more, which is good, but she can honestly sing better than Kusumi (no surprise there, watch Sono Bamen de Bibichaikenaijan and look for Kamei and Kusumi’s lines, she nails the perfect tone each time, Kusumi, on the other hand, did her anime voice…Kamei Wins!) She has a great voice and she tries her hardest to learn her lines perfectly, and she is really funny also, which is a plus for me, and she gets along extremely well with both Sayu and Niigaki which makes her a top on my list.
5. Kumai Yurina – Her voice is one of her best qualities (apart from her looks), she is almost always one of the girls who gets a good part of lines in a song because of it. She stands out a lot (because of her height, and it doesn’t help that both of H!P’s shortest members are in Berryz Koubou too), which is good because she is noticed more. She is extremely cute and I really would like to see her in the spotlight more often (after Chinami that is). Let’s hope for more Kumai lines, Berryz Koubou really need to change the Risako concentrated singles they have been releasing, I get it Tsunku, Risako can sing and she’s cute too, now we need to focus on the other girls.
6. ReiRei – Wow, bet you didn’t see that coming, a member from Ice Creamusume places higher in a ranking than Takahashi Ai, well I have some reasons. First of all she has an extremely good singing voice (not better than her, but she is a great singer nonetheless), her first line in the Ame..fill in the blank..darou song was one of the best I’ve heard. Second, she has a slightly dreamy look in her face all the time which is cute, she looks great and she instantly became one of my favorite in Ice Creamusume (along with Youko). I hope they start bringing in Ice Creamusume to the H!P concerts after their studying break (they are definitely still in H!P, but they are taking somewhat of a break for exams in May), we need more ReiRei in H!P.
7. Takahashi Ai – She is in the bottom four because I wanted to go through my most favorites first and then go through the other top girls. She has an incredible voice and she will certainly go far as a singer, she also is one of the most popular Musume’s, which might have to do with her voice and beauty. Not much I can make out of that, if you’ve seen her in Morning Musume you know that she is one of the the most talented (if not the best) at singing, that explains itself good.
8. Kusumi Koharu – If you’ve read my reviews of Kusumi single releases then you might be surprised about why she is there in my top ten. I constantly complain about her voice, which is true to some extent, right now she is not the best at singing because she does her anime voice when she sings. If you have listened to her early work (Ex: Balalaika), then you know that she has talent and can sing, but somewhere along the line someone must have suggested that she raise her voice tone a little, leading us to the present where she does an annoying teenage voice everytime she sings. With the end of her anime she might stop doing that, there is some proof in Guruguru Jump where she does a normal voice, which means that good singer Kusumi is somewhere in there, and I really hope she starts using her normal voice more. She’s also cute, not Michishige cute, but still cute.
9. Suzuki Airi – I would have placed her higher but she doesn’t really make that great of an impact to move any of the other girls. She is an extremely good singer being one of the top picks, along with Yajima, for song lines. I placed her in the top ten because I recently started noticing her after I saw a subtitled Making of co*no*mi*chi, when she started doing impressions of other members. It was really funny because of the looks she got from Momoko and Miyabi, which were always “Huh?” looks. She also has a cute look, but it’s like Kusumi, it’s just not that much, also it looks like she tries her hardest in all of the PV’s which is always a good sign she cares about the fans.
10. Mano Erina – She would go higher, but like Takahashi I wanted to put the overall favorites first, she has an extremely soft and mellow voice which combined with her piano talent make her one of the top reasons why she is a good soloist. She is also one of the few H!P members which can play an instrument while she sings, which helps her and Tsunku out because there isn’t a need for heavy beats or additional sound effects to make the song. She is also extremely cute, I’m really looking forward to seeing “ManoGuam” (no, it’s not a wrestling dvd, it’s about her trip for her PB, at least I think so). I also like the look she has when she sings, which is almost always calm and soothing, which combined with her eyes kind of make you feel the emotion of the music. I would really like to hear her sing an H!P sounding song at least once to see if she could pull it of though, just to change it up a bit.
Overall I like these ten more than the other girls,I do still like the other members as well, just not that much. I encourage you to go to Hello! Blogs site to vote in the poll, let’s show UFA we International H!P fans care about them! If you want to comment on your favorites or argue in their favor, please go ahead and comment. The link to Hello! Blog’s site is on the right, under the “Blogs” section, go and vote!