Konno Asami (紺野あさ美)
- Nickname: Konkon (こんこん), Konchan (紺ちゃん), Ponchan (ポンちゃん), Konbu, Bukkonbu, Acchan, Asa, Ojyamaru (おじゃマル)
- Birth Date: May 7, 1987
- Birthplace: Sapporo, Hokkaido Prefecture, Japan
- Blood type: B
- Sign: Taurus
- Height: 156 cm
- Hobbies: Exercising, listening to music, shopping, and talking
- Special skill: Playing the trombone
- Favorite word: 本気 (honki – seriousness)
- Favorite color: White, brown, black and pink
- Favorite food: Cheese, sushi, meat, lasagna, potatoes, sweets
- Disliked food: Curry, strawberries, melon, cucumbers, mayonnaise, wasabi
- Favorite season: Summer and winter
- Favorite flowers: Snowdrops, cherry blossoms
Konno joined Morning Musume in 2001. Although her performance in the Love Audition 21 (Loveオーディション 21 has been called mediocre even by Tsunku, he said that she passed the audition because of her potential and the amount of effort she put into it. LOVE oudishon nijuichi )
She debuted on the group’s thirteenth single, “Mr. Moonlight ~Ai no Big Band~”, released on October 31, 2001. In the same month, during a filming of music variety show Utaban, she injured her leg and was not able to participate in the remaining performances of the group’s national tour at that time.
Her first album appearance was 4th Ikimasshoi!, released on March 27, 2002.
In May of the same year, Konno was unexpectedly given the lead role for the second half of Morning Musume’s annual play, Morning Town. In the summer of that year, she also debuted in a shuffle unit, as part of Odoru 11. Coincidentally, she was separated from all the other fifth generation members, who were in Happy 7.
Later in September, all the fifth generation members were placed into a subgroup. Along with Niigaki Risa, Konno was put into Tanpopo as the third generation. They only released one single before becoming inactive.
Konno, along with many other members of Morning Musume at that time, starred in a drama entitled Angel Hearts which was released in 2002.
In 2003, when Morning Musume was split into two groups (Sakuragumi and Otomegumi) after the sixth generation members had joined, she was placed into Sakuragumi, which released two singles. Gatas Brilhantes H.P., Hello! Project’s futsal team, was also formed that year. Konno became one of its founding members, quitting only when she was graduating from Hello! Project.
In July of the same year, she was added into Country Musume, (whose theme was “girls from Hokkaidou”) with fellow member Fujimoto Miki. Under this new formation, named “Country Musume ni Konno to Fujimoto”, three singles were released. She also made a guest appearance in a drama, Kochira Hon Ikegami Sho 2 (which Ai Kago starred in as a regular) that year, as a hit-and-run victim’s sister.
She is considered to be one of the most intelligent members after achieving the highest mark during a special episode of Mecha-Mecha Iketeru! in 2001 (shortly after the fifth generation joined) where the Bakajo Test was given to see who was the “idiot girl” of Morning Musume. She is also athletic, according to another special episode of Mecha-Mecha Iketeru! in 2003 (after the sixth generation joined) focusing on sports, placing as the fifth most athletic Morning Musume member.
In late 2004, Tsunku’s choice of putting Konno on the main vocals for “Namida ga Tomaranai Houkago” yet again surprised many people, as it is known that she has rather weak vocals when compared to the other members of Morning Musume.
In March 2006, she proved her athletic abilities by placing first in the 1500 meter race at Hello! Project’s 2006 sports festival in the time of six minutes and thirteen seconds, getting her the MVP award plus defeating the previous winner, Yajima Maimi, whom Konno had lost to in Hello! Project’s 2003 sports festival. On July 23, 2006, Konno graduated from Morning Musume and Hello! Project to continue her studies at a university. The last single and album she participated in were “Ambitious! Yashinteki de Ii Jan” and Rainbow 7 respectively.
The news of Konno’s acceptance to Keio University, one of the top private universities in Japan, known for producing two prime ministers, was announced on December 11, 2006 by several news sources. On December 28, 2006, she has confirmed these claims personally, in a message she sent to Hello! Project which was posted on the main website.
Although she was officially no longer part of Hello! Project at the time, on January 28, 2007, she appeared on stage at Hello! Project’s 10th anniversary concert (the first graduated member to do so), giving her last messages to Asami and Miuna of Country Musume, who were graduating that night.
On June 18, 2007, Up-Front Agency confirmed that Konno was returning to Hello! Project to rejoin members of Gatas Brilhantes H.P. in the group Ongaku Gatas. Their first single, titled “Narihajimeta Koi no Bell” was released on August 22, 2007. Konno will remain an active member within the agency and Ongaku Gatas while continuing her university studies.
On March 31, 2009 Konno Asami and the rest of the Elder Club graduated from Hello! Project.
- In her primary school days, her friends called her “Imonee” (イモネェ ).
- She did track & field during middle school.
- She is certified level 3 for the Japanese Kanji Aptitude Test.
- She has a brown belt in karate.
- Her nickname “Pon-chan” was given to her by Matthew Minami, when he made a mistake while wanting to say “Kon-chan.” Reina Tanaka now uses the nickname for her.
- Love Audition 21 audition songs:
- Round 1: “Ai no Bakayarou” (Goto Maki)
- Round 2: “Dokki Doki! Love Mail” (Matsuura Aya)
- Was considered the most intelligent member of Morning Musume, having been a studious person in school, by scored the highest on Mecha-Mecha Iketeru!’s Bakajo Test and later graduating from Morning Musume to enter a university.
- Morning Musume (2002 – 2006)
- Country Musume (2003 – 2006)
- Ongaku Gatas (2007 – )
- Tanpopo (2002 – 2006)
- Morning Musume Sakura Gumi (2003 – 2004)
- Odoru 11 (2002)
- 11WATER (2003)
- H.P. All Stars (2004)